I discovered these brain injury resources while trying to focus my attention on a review of Changed Lives New Journeys. Like an ageing house – blog bits are starting to look a bit shabby and not work so well. You start looking into fixing it only to find more and more seems to need doing. […]
‘Tips for Getting Through the Stages of Change After Brain Injury” – this is another list I found in my archives. It is a single well worn sheet with ‘Bear in Mind presentation’ across the top. Bear in Mind is now Brain Injury Matters an organisation in Melbourne, Australia for and by people […]
Today in the final of a series about Memory – a list of memory strategies after brain injury. A whole lot of ideas that might help begin to address memory loss after brain injury. You will need to work out which ones are likely to help. What works will change from person to person depending […]
Tips and strategies for memory loss after brain injury often focus on use of a diary and other remembering aids. Today I want to begin with a broader range of strategies to think about. Today a range of broad strategies and thoughts about how to set up strategies that suit a person’s lifestyle and needs. Next […]
Today a brief overview about memory after brain injury. What can happen and what can impact on memory. When something goes wrong, it is often helpful to know how it works normally. So it is with memory. Understanding changes to memory after brain injury can be easier to understand if you have some knowledge […]
Memory 103 Memory and the Brain – a brief look at the parts of the brain involved in memory. Last week in Memory 102 we focussed on the differences between short term and long term memory. A brief look at what memory is and how it works was covered in the first of the series Memory […]
What turns a short term memory to long term memory ? What makes memory work better? How come I remember where I was when man walked on the moon but I can’t remember the name of the person I met briefly yesterday? Today short term memory to long term memory follows on from the […]
How do we remember the detail of our lives? What is memory? How do we know how to do stuff? How do we make memories? What happens to remembering after brain injury? Why can I remember some things and not others? So many questions and it all comes back to Memory. Difficulty with memory is […]
I remember during the lecture the presenter outlined the potential impact of brain injury and Fundamental Attribution Error (FAE). I remember the topic of the talk was challenging behaviour after brain injury. I remember the presenter was a Scottish guy who focussed on people with significant behaviour issues after brain injury. I remember while new to […]
Privacy after brain injury. Messy. Complex. Important. Do you think it is different to privacy for any citizen? I say Yes … sometimes. People can usually choose what remains private. A person with brain injury, or a person with a disability may find this choice – of what is private and what is not […]
Sign up here and get your FREE e-book about brain injury
A Bit About Me
Hi I'm Melanie and I love what I do – really love what I do. Finding a few words to describe this is a work in progress! Here goes: I work to support belonging, acceptance, understanding and a good life for everyone. Lofty and a bit pompous sounding, but that’s it in a nutshell. Mostly my work means learning and sharing about brain injury with people whose lives have changed through brain injury, their family and supporters.
- When Get up and Go is Gone. Lack of Initiation and Motivation after Brain Injury August 19, 2014
- Frontal Lobe Damage: When the Leader Can’t Lead August 27, 2013
- “I’m So Tired My Brain Hurts” Cognitive Fatigue March 12, 2013
- Flooding of the Senses: Sensory Overload After Brain Injury November 24, 2015
- Living with Stroke: What I Learned at Stroke Support Group July 23, 2014
- Managing Celebrations after Brain Injury December 9, 2016
- The Brain and Executive Function. What is Executive Function? October 26, 2016
- Tips for Making Decisions After Brain Injury October 18, 2016
- Changed Decision Making After Brain Injury October 12, 2016
- Wondering Who You Are August 17, 2016
- Melanie Atkins: Tammy I apologise that this reply is so long comin...
- Melanie Atkins: Thanks again Matthew for sharing your story and he...
- Melanie Atkins: Lucina, You sound like a very resilient amazing pe...
- Lucina: Thank you for your insightful information Mrs. Atk...
- Matthew Gale: Hi Melanie, thanks for this in...