When I first began working with people with brain injury I read many memoirs about living with brain injury. It helped me understand brain injury and how it is experienced. After many years I no longer read every book. Over the past year or so I was drawn to three in particular “Flower Between the […]
Archive | Life Changes After Brain Injury RSS feed for this section
Tips on What ‘To Say’ When a Person Has A Brain Injury or Other Life Changes. The previous article “To Say or Not To Say – After Brain Injury Part 1” looked at what people say that sometimes can be hurtful, unhelpful and at times damaging albeit with good intentions. Today some tips and […]
Recently I have received several letters from people living with brain injury wanting to know how to handle people who say hurtful things, or who say things that are supposed to be motivating but are instead are a reminder of loss. “If you put your mind to it you can do anything”. Timely, when this […]
Years ago I discovered I am a happier being if I don’t watch or listen to the news. Events and news frequently filters through through despite my efforts. Sometimes as a balance to all the woeful news it is good to be reminded of the wonderful side of human beans. My reminder this week came […]
‘Tips for Getting Through the Stages of Change After Brain Injury” – this is another list I found in my archives. It is a single well worn sheet with ‘Bear in Mind presentation’ across the top. Bear in Mind is now Brain Injury Matters an organisation in Melbourne, Australia for and by people […]
Fatigue after brain injury: Cognitive fatigue, Brain fog, Mental fatigue, Brain fatigue, Brain exhaustion, Mental tiredness, Foggy brain. I love the last one! All terms that can mean “I’m so tired my brain hurts”. Please Remember This: To begin here is the key message I want to make – We can all get foggy brain. […]
Brain injury + misunderstood + hard to understand = The outcomes of brain injury can easily seem very personal. Every week I receive letters, comments on the blog, messages via Facebook – talking about people’s experience, living with brain injury. This is an aspect of writing ChangedLivesNewJourneys that I really, really enjoy so please keep […]
An article “When Can’t Is About Power’ by Cheryl Green really got me thinking. I reckon most of us have been on one side or other of this conversation at some time. If you have visited Changed Lives or Changed Lives New Journey’s Facebook you probably know I am a big Cheryl Green and Who […]
I know. I know. This image can be seen as a cheap trick on my part to draw you in? I really just want to make a bold statement about sex and brain injury! To reinforce my view – that it’s OK to talk it. We should talk about it. Many, many, subjects are written […]
Celebrations after brain injury can be tricky. This article is updated and reposted each year before the end of year. Timed for when Christmas, Hannukah, New Year and other celebrations abound. It acknowledges that managing celebrations after brain injury can be difficult. Filled with expectation and anticipation – it does not always deliver on the […]
Sign up here and get your FREE e-book about brain injury
- When Get up and Go is Gone. Lack of Initiation and Motivation after Brain Injury August 19, 2014
- Frontal Lobe Damage: When the Leader Can’t Lead August 27, 2013
- “I’m So Tired My Brain Hurts” Cognitive Fatigue March 12, 2013
- Flooding of the Senses: Sensory Overload After Brain Injury November 24, 2015
- Living with Stroke: What I Learned at Stroke Support Group July 23, 2014
- Managing Celebrations after Brain Injury December 9, 2016
- The Brain and Executive Function. What is Executive Function? October 26, 2016
- Tips for Making Decisions After Brain Injury October 18, 2016
- Changed Decision Making After Brain Injury October 12, 2016
- Wondering Who You Are August 17, 2016
- Melanie Atkins: Tammy I apologise that this reply is so long comin...
- Melanie Atkins: Thanks again Matthew for sharing your story and he...
- Melanie Atkins: Lucina, You sound like a very resilient amazing pe...
- Lucina: Thank you for your insightful information Mrs. Atk...
- Matthew Gale: Hi Melanie, thanks for this in...