Why present the statistics of brain injury? Well it reminds us, we are each highly likely to have some experience of brain injury at some point in our life. This makes it worthwhile having some understanding of what it’s all about. Most of us never hear of brain injury until it happens to ourselves, a […]
Stats without the rats: The not so boring statistics of brain injury and why you should be interested.
Brain injury is damage to brain cells. And we have an estimated 100 billion brain cells, that’s: 100,000,000,000 cells. How can we possibly understand anything with this many pieces? And how do we know its 100 million cells – I don’t know the answer to this, except to say it seems a pretty common […]
“What is brain injury?” and you might add “And why do I want to know? You might want to know because brain injury is more common that most of us realise. You are very likely to know someone with a brain injury in your lifetime. You might want to know because you will understand more […]
Not Another Blog! Early in 2011 there were apparently over 156 million blogs on the web! So why start another one? My answer is that I could not find one that was just for people supporting people with brain injury. and I really wanted to try this way of communicating and sharing. No, I did […]
Who is it for? Whatever your interest in brain injury you are welcome. My aim is to bring to you all sorts of ‘stuff’ that I hope will be useful for anyone with an interest in brain injury. Just so everyone is clear though, my primary focus for Changed Lives New Journeys is a bit more […]
Sign up here and get your FREE e-book about brain injury
A Bit About Me
Hi I'm Melanie and I love what I do – really love what I do. Finding a few words to describe this is a work in progress! Here goes: I work to support belonging, acceptance, understanding and a good life for everyone. Lofty and a bit pompous sounding, but that’s it in a nutshell. Mostly my work means learning and sharing about brain injury with people whose lives have changed through brain injury, their family and supporters.
- When Get up and Go is Gone. Lack of Initiation and Motivation after Brain Injury August 19, 2014
- Frontal Lobe Damage: When the Leader Can’t Lead August 27, 2013
- “I’m So Tired My Brain Hurts” Cognitive Fatigue March 12, 2013
- Flooding of the Senses: Sensory Overload After Brain Injury November 24, 2015
- Living with Stroke: What I Learned at Stroke Support Group July 23, 2014
- Living With Brain Injury December 12, 2017
- Managing Celebrations after Brain Injury December 9, 2016
- The Brain and Executive Function. What is Executive Function? October 26, 2016
- Tips for Making Decisions After Brain Injury October 18, 2016
- Changed Decision Making After Brain Injury October 12, 2016
- Melanie Atkins: Tammy I apologise that this reply is so long comin...
- Melanie Atkins: Thanks again Matthew for sharing your story and he...
- Melanie Atkins: Lucina, You sound like a very resilient amazing pe...
- Lucina: Thank you for your insightful information Mrs. Atk...
- Matthew Gale: Hi Melanie, thanks for this in...