Brain injury is damage to brain cells. And we have an estimated 100 billion brain cells, that’s: 100,000,000,000 cells. How can we possibly understand anything with this many pieces? And how do we know its 100 million cells – I don’t know the answer to this, except to say it seems a pretty common […]
“What is brain injury?” and you might add “And why do I want to know? You might want to know because brain injury is more common that most of us realise. You are very likely to know someone with a brain injury in your lifetime. You might want to know because you will understand more […]
Not Another Blog! Early in 2011 there were apparently over 156 million blogs on the web! So why start another one? My answer is that I could not find one that was just for people supporting people with brain injury. and I really wanted to try this way of communicating and sharing. No, I did […]
Who is it for? Whatever your interest in brain injury you are welcome. My aim is to bring to you all sorts of ‘stuff’ that I hope will be useful for anyone with an interest in brain injury. Just so everyone is clear though, my primary focus for Changed Lives New Journeys is a bit more […]
Sign up here and get your FREE e-book about brain injury
A Bit About Me
Hi I'm Melanie and I love what I do – really love what I do. Finding a few words to describe this is a work in progress! Here goes: I work to support belonging, acceptance, understanding and a good life for everyone. Lofty and a bit pompous sounding, but that’s it in a nutshell. Mostly my work means learning and sharing about brain injury with people whose lives have changed through brain injury, their family and supporters.
- When Get up and Go is Gone. Lack of Initiation and Motivation after Brain Injury August 19, 2014
- Frontal Lobe Damage: When the Leader Can’t Lead August 27, 2013
- “I’m So Tired My Brain Hurts” Cognitive Fatigue March 12, 2013
- Flooding of the Senses: Sensory Overload After Brain Injury November 24, 2015
- Living with Stroke: What I Learned at Stroke Support Group July 23, 2014
- Managing Celebrations after Brain Injury December 9, 2016
- The Brain and Executive Function. What is Executive Function? October 26, 2016
- Tips for Making Decisions After Brain Injury October 18, 2016
- Changed Decision Making After Brain Injury October 12, 2016
- Wondering Who You Are August 17, 2016
- Melanie Atkins: Tammy I apologise that this reply is so long comin...
- Melanie Atkins: Thanks again Matthew for sharing your story and he...
- Melanie Atkins: Lucina, You sound like a very resilient amazing pe...
- Lucina: Thank you for your insightful information Mrs. Atk...
- Matthew Gale: Hi Melanie, thanks for this in...